Update June 2018: Please note that this information might be out of date as we haven’t had time to check and rewrite it. To get the latest and best tourism information, please consider staying at Sari Inn where our manager Hamy would be happy to take care of you. Hamy worked for the Lombok Tourism commission for twenty years and drove for the former presidential family. He speaks good English and remains one of the top experts on the area.
Throughout the year, the Lombok social calendar is quite active. There are a myriad of fine festivals which take place in the different villages. From events on the top of Mount Rinjanito parades through the heart of Mataram, there is always something exciting in the works. When you are on holiday and want to become immersed in Lombok heritage, be sure that you make a point to attend one of these special events.
Related: Religious Festivals
- Pawai Ogoh–ohoh: Purification celebration the day before Hindu New Year
- Male’an Sampi at Narmada: Cattle races during planting season
- Gandang Beleq Festival: Drum inspired dance performed for important visitors
- Senggigi Festival: Lombok tourist festival in July
- Cultural Parade: Parade during the Senggigi festival
- Peresean Fighting: Fight performance in honor of the Gods to ask for rain
- Ngaturang Pekelam: Celebration of the Gods
- Lebaran Topat: Feast to pray for happiness and prosperity
- Topat Festival: Rice cake festival as a thanks to God for the fertility of the land
Places for Lombok Festivals
- West Lombok
- Mount Rinjani
- Lingsar Temple
When you are staying in paradise and the stresses of work are thousands of miles away, every day is an event. Celebrations can come in many sizes and shapes and you may find that in the shopping areas of Lombok and in the beach coves, there are plenty of small daily and weekly events.
However, as for the larger events, it is wonderful to experience the joy of another country. Not only do you get to enjoy the show, but you get to see the fashion, taste the food and hear the music. From celebrations for the Gods on top of an active volcano to celebrations for the sea worms with your toes in the water, attending Lombok events, leads to a deeper understanding of paradise.