Update June 2018: Please note that this information might be out of date as we haven’t had time to check and rewrite it. To get the latest and best tourism information, please consider staying at Sari Inn where our manager Hamy would be happy to take care of you. Hamy worked for the Lombok Tourism commission for twenty years and drove for the former presidential family. He speaks good English and remains one of the top experts on the area.
Kuta, Lombok is well known for its near-deserted sandy beaches and great surf.
The local beach in Kuta is good for relaxing but for surfing or swimming you should travel to one of the nearby beaches in the local area. We've listed them below.
Sari Inn is just 10 minutes walk from the local beach. Our driver Hami is on hand to drive you to one of the local swimming or surfing beaches at standard local rates.
For surfing Gerupuk Bay is the best beach in the area. At this bay there is no bad time to catch a wave. When you are looking to find a high wall the best option is to catch up with local surfers or charter a boat to take you further out into the water by the wave breaks.
Along with surfing inside Gerupuk Bay visitors will find great options for surfing at:
- Gili Golong: Best during October through April.
- Don-Don: Known for its A-frame waves with a long break on either side.
- Pelawangan: When the surf is good and the winds are right, barrels are best here.
- Are Guling: In optimum conditions you will find right hand breaks which are 8-10ft.
- Seger Beach: a wonderful spot to practice your moves thanks to short tubes and bowly walls.
- Mawi: From May to September this is a daredevil’s delight.
- Outside Ekas: A left hander with lots of power.
- Inside Ekas: On a good day holds will reach 12ft or more.
- Desert Point: From May to October this is one of the best places in the world for experienced surfers thanks to the barrels and tubes.
When learning to surf in Kuta Beach, KimenSurf is one of the favorite schools. This surf shop was created by surfers and is run by surfers. When you want to know, these are the folks to learn from. From classes to tours to equipment, these folks have everything you need, including:
- Rash Vests
- Lip Balm
- New Boards
- Used Boards
- Surfboard Repair
- Transport Organizers
- Tide Charts
- Swell Forecasts