Update June 2018: Please note that this information might be out of date as we haven’t had time to check and rewrite it. To get the latest and best tourism information, please consider staying at Sari Inn where our manager Hamy would be happy to take care of you. Hamy worked for the Lombok Tourism commission for twenty years and drove for the former presidential family. He speaks good English and remains one of the top experts on the area.
Lombok is well known for pristine surfing. Head here whether you are a novice or a seasoned professional. There are fantastic places to train, to take on a challenge and even to bring the kids. For early risers or late afternoon lovers of the waves, Lombok has the tide you are looking for.
Surf rentals and surf classes are popular in Kuta. As the waves here are small, it is easier to gain your bearings. When staying at a nearby inn, you can possibly catch a wave before breakfast. If surfing is the reason that you are headed on holiday, Lombok has less crowded beaches than Bali, a stunning atmosphere and great teachers and tour guides.
Some of the best places to surf include:
- Mawi Bay: A perfect left handler for the moderate rider
- Belongas Bay: A perfect spot for waves when the weather is right
- Kuta Bay: A great spot to learn
- Air Guling: Good for experienced surfers
- Desert Point: This spot has some of the longest waves in the world
- Mawi: For fast curls and large barrels, head here
- Inside Ekas: A long stretch with waves perfect for beginners and advanced surfers
- Outside Ekas: Perfect for mid-tide times